March Blog

This past month has brought some unexpected stress and uncertainty with the Coronavirus pandemic bringing our normal daily life to a halt. Although I am sad to no longer have class meetings or see my peers face to face, I understand that we need to prevent the spread of the virus and protect those most vulnerable to it.

When it comes to grades and assignments, I would say this semester has been successful for me thus far. I feel proud of the work I put in and the results that followed. I was stressed about the most recent test because the testing environment and software was different than I was accustomed to. It went well, but I was so nervous that my family was going to be loud or try to disrupt me.

I did get the chance to volunteer a couple weekends ago with Yush Kukreja. The coaches of the Speech and Debate Team from our high school, Benjamin Franklin, needed some volunteer judges at a tournament, so Yush and I spent the day at Christ Episcopal School in Covington, Louisiana. I was not on the team in high school, so this was an entirely new experience for me. I have always struggled with public speaking, so I was very impressed at these high schooler's ability to speak with such confidence and fluid articulation. I judged several rounds, each one lasting about an hour where I ordered the contestants from best to worst in each round. Volunteer judges are crucial to these tournaments, so that the students may compete in the state rounds and hopefully make it to Nationals.

Volunteer Hours: 10

Comments

Popular Posts